Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pizza and Fructose


So you're fructose intolerant, and love pizza...should you eat it? Technically no. But if you've already gone through your 2 weeks of eating fructose free and are ready to re-introduce a little fructose into your life give it a try...just know that:


Tomato sauce naturally has fructose in it and some brands even put high fructose corn syrup in their sauce.

Eating margarita pizza (the thinner crust with sauce and roma tomatoes on it) is just adding fructose.


If you're symptoms cause you to not eat much the rest of the day (like my son's) wait until the end of the day to eat your pizza- I wouldn't let Nathan eat it for lunch but dinner, sure.


Since Nathan has been dealing with this fructose thing he has "cheated" and eaten pizza at a few times. 

Once we ordered it while he had a buddy over, I noticed it was pretty saucy and saw that Nathan, on his own, dabbed off some sauce. Even at 8, he's aware and doesn't want to fructose it up! He did have a little symptoms that evening but we knew it was coming. And yes, he was too "full" for an evening snack or dessert..still trying to get him to gain weight.

I also make semi-home made pizza at home. The kids love it! We get one of those box pizza doughs, add hot water and the kids make their own! We go VERY LIGHT on Nathan's with the sauce, like a thin film of sauce. Being 8 he's not a fan of olive oil and garlic or any white pizza sauces, a thin amount gives him very little symptoms. Some times you gotta feel like you can eat like everyone else. It is beyond difficult to never eat any fructose. Then we add fresh ingredients, whole milk mozzarella that we grate, so good!! 

 When you're fructose intolerant your body cannot tell if it's manufactured or natural...you have symptoms regardless!)
Be leery of FRUCTOSE FREE recipes on the web!! I just read 3 blogs that had fructose free recipes for pizza that listed tomatoes and tomato sauces :)

Good luck and if you aren't ready to experience your symptoms at a party I'd skip the pizza :)



3 comments:

  1. My son was diagnosed with fructose malabsorption this week. We see a dietitian in a week. Your blog has been very informative. Thank you for sharing your story. I have a question for you. Weight gain has been a real issue over the last couple of years for my son. Have you seen your son's appetite increase? Any weight gain? I'm seeking hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather. I am so sorry it has taken me sooo long to reply. YES! My son's stomach issues have improved greatly and with that came weight game! We give him 2 boosts a day too so that helps- it was his doctor that recommended that. You guys are not alone. It's been 2 months (almost!) since your question- any weight gain? Best of luck to you!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I just stumbled across your blog and wanted to say that since I've (finally, after almost 9 years of pain!) been diagnosed with FM I have been frequently making Pizza with a cream cheese sauce instead of the ordinary tomato. Of course it tastes different, but I still like it and since I unfortunately seem to be very sensitive (I can't have cane sugar either) it's a lovely alternative for me. (I simply mix cream cheese with creme fraiche, salt and pepper to a thick sauce and top as usual with cheese and whatever both my belly and me like, especially Prosciutto ham added about 1-2 minutes before the pizza is done is delicious.) If your son is fine with a bit of tomato that's great, I just thought I might share because I was extremely happy when someone suggested this to me. =)

    ReplyDelete