Friday, June 15, 2012

Fructose and Berries

Low in Fructose! High in flavor!!


It was so hard for Nathan, my fructose intolerant 8 year old son, to give up fruit. My boy loved an apple a day! After 2 weeks of no fructose it was time to try berries- low in natural fructose.


So far so good! Every other day Nate dives into a bowl of blueberries with a few strawberries thrown in! No he can't have the strawberry yogurt drink his buddies drink (loaded with hfcs) but next week we'll make our own smoothies!




Below is some data on fruit and fructose we received from our dietician.  




Grapes

Red or green grapes contain about 25 grams of fructose per cup. Grapes are also a good source of fiber, and are high in vitamin C. They provide a small amount of iron and vitamin A.

Pears

An average-sized Asian pear has 19 grams of fructose, while a common pear contains 16 grams of fructose. Pears are high in fiber and vitamin C.

Watermelon

One wedge of watermelon contains 18 grams of fructose per serving. Watermelons are not high in fiber, but they are rich in vitamins A and C and provide some iron.

Pineapple

A 1-cup serving of pineapple has about 15 grams of fructose. Pineapple provides almost a day’s worth of vitamin C in each cup, and is also a good source of dietary fiber, while also delivering some calcium and iron.

Bananas and Apples

These common fruits contain between 14 And 16 grams of fructose in an average-sized piece of whole fruit. Bananas are also a good source of fiber, potassium and vitamin C, while apples are also high in vitamin C and supply some iron and vitamin A.

Blackberries, Blueberries, Raspberries and Strawberries

With about 22 grams of fructose per cup, blackberries are the highest in fructose for the berry group. Blueberries have 14 grams per cup. Raspberries have 6 grams fructose, and strawberries 8 grams fructose per cup. With their edible skins and seeds, berries are a rich source of dietary fiber, especially blackberries. Berries are also high in antioxidant vitamins.



Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/542442-what-fruits-are-high-in-fructose/#ixzz1xtj7hfZ8



Again, great info but what actually matters is how fruit makes 


my son feel. A banana seems okay, only a couple symptoms


come from that- but the blueberries are working out great.


Good luck on your fructose free journey. It's sometimes a 


struggle- apples messed up Nate's belly one day we tried


them but it's trial & error!


 Yay for berries!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am reading your blog with fascination. You have given me some wonderful new angles on food I might be able to eat again. When I realized I had HFI, I immediately developed a phobia of fructose because of how sick I have become over 48 years and how fast I got better- 48 hours! Believe it or not I am reading this some 48 days since my diagnosis. I was thinking of watching a movie and wondered if popcorn might be okay. You just taught me I may even be able to try some corn products carefully and maybe some day a few berries! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete