Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Letter from Coca Cola about fructose


Hello! I emailed Coca Cola after reading a few studies that said fructose was found in Mexican Coke which lists sugar as it's ingredients- as we know cane sugar is okay for fructose intolerant peeps like my son. Here is what I wrote and Coca Cola's timely response:
WHAT I WROTE:Hi. My son is fructose intolerant. Mexican Coke only says sugar- but some 
studies I read says they contain hfcs. Is this true? Thanks, JIll Kupchik 


COCA COLA'S RESPONSE:

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company, Ms. Kupchik.  Your interest in our brands is certainly appreciated.


The majority of Coca-Cola bottlers use high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  This decision is typically based on availability and cost.  


The only sparkling product made with sucrose is Coca-Cola from Mexico, which is available in select regions.
Coca-Cola from Mexico contains the following safe ingredients:  Carbonated water, sugar, caramel color, phosphoric acid,  natural flavors and caffeine.

You may be interested to know that nutritional information for most of our brands in the U.S. is available via our website. 
Go to thecoca-colacompany.com, click on "Brands" at the top, then select "U.S. Product Nutrition Information."
In addition, you may know that HFCS is a sweetener derived from corn.  The mixture we use in our soft drinks is very similar to liquid sucrose and is composed of approximately half glucose (45%) and half fructose (55%).
We hope this information is helpful.  Please be assured your comments have been shared appropriately.  Feel free to contact us again if you have further questions.
Jennifer
Industry and Consumer Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company



I was very impressed by how quickly they got back to me (within 2 hours). Perhaps the studies are incorrect- all research is flawed, can be skewed....learned this from a graduate research class and good ole' common sense! We'll have Nate try it. I don't condone pop drinking (my kids have about 3 sips a year at Christmas!) but now that Nate's 8 I do see his friends drink it at birthday parties.

Label reading is tough- are companies telling the truth? For my son's sake I sure hope so!


No comments:

Post a Comment