Saturday, June 2, 2012

Fructose-free kid lunches...no more juice boxes!!

No more juice boxes in the lunch box!!! Say good bye (for a little while) to peanut butter sandwiches. Yes, packing lunches took a little thought but def. have the hang of it now!
Make cool-aid, cane sugar is allowed!

Keep plenty of washed sports bottles on hand and voila! Throw in some ice cubes and it's better than a juice box!

Read those labels and find fructose free (and honey free) bread and buns.

 Nathan likes Pepperidge Farm's wheat ones.

Again- check that label, they are soft and good and unfort. a little hard to find.

Sometimes (I'm only on week 4) but I've had to go to 3 supermarkets to find it and last week all of them were gone. It's a life style change forsure but now that we've done it we're in the groove baby!

I suggest:

Buy lots of kool-aid packets (I have 3 kids & lots of play dates!)
Buy a tub of cane sugar!

Always have cake mix, powder sugar, butter and vanilla on hand- a kid's bday party comes up- your kid can't have the frosting- make your homemade stuff and he can have yours! (Nate choses to eat his at home) Remember no pizza sauce (at least during those 1st 2 weeks)

Buy Hersey Bars, pretzels, chips- put some in a baggie marked with your kids name and give it to his teacher with a note on it. 


This way at school when that birthday kid is passing out his cookies or cupcake or lollipop your fructose intolerant kid can have his snack. Make sure subs know about this too- hence the note! Be your kid's advocate. It stinks being different when it comes to food. It's hard. I know because I was allergic to diary my whole childhood. My parents made sure I always had something I could eat at friends houses and birthday parties and school. Having been a teacher myself it's really not a big deal- in fact it's preferred rather than have your child sit there with out anything feeling bad.


A typical lunch for my son: 
Pepperidge Wheat bun (fructose free) with hot pepper cheese and turkey (not honey turkey!)
Bag of chips
Container with water or kool-aid made with cane sugar
banana or pepper strips
hershey bar (still trying to put weight on!!)


Good luck with your child's fructose free lunch :)



No comments:

Post a Comment